What sprocket combo to get

dev

Nov 6, 2007
Finally took my new toy (94 KDX200) out on saturday, First dirt bike Id ever riden.
Just a couple of questions.
I didnt seem to get out of 2nd gear, when others were in 3rd or 4th doing the same speed.
Getting up hills I had to feather the clutch in powerband otherwise she struggled a bit.
think the problem is that the bike was designed for a dual purpose bike as it had all the wiring for one (removed it now)

Ive got a 19 inch rear wheel with a 14t front and 45t rear sprocket.

What would you guys recommend for a replacement sprocket set?

It feels like it has a flat spot down low is this because of the high gearing?

its got the 19inch rear wheel compared to the 18inch this model usually has.

any help would be appreciated?

Last edited:

dev

Nov 6, 2007
Would the difference be noticable? Is the high gearing causing the flat feel to the bottom end power?

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
mate that gearing sounds very high and like you said is probably for road riding. my kdx was geared at 13/47 which is standard and i had the standard 18' rear wheel. i even went to 12/47 for trail rides and that was a great ratio it lets you use the higher gears more and gives more engine torque.
if i was you i would set that sprocket and chain aside and buy a new set of sprockets with an o-ring chain for dirt use. try 13/49 or 13/50 as those are good all round type sprocket ratios.
good luck.

joebiodiesel

Dec 6, 2006
I run lower gears than most. I have a 12/49 setup, but I ride almost exclusively in the woods. At first I felt it was too low because I spent a lot more time shifting, but stuck with it because it allowed me to roll through some pretty low speed stuff without fanning the clutch. Now that I ride faster, and in a higher gear, I don't shift as often. I am very happy with the gearing for my riding style and type of terrain.
I recommend you but a 13t and 12t front sprockets(they're cheap) and give them both a try. If you want smaller changes to the gearing, replace the rear sprocket with bigger/smaller as you see fit.

Congratulations on the new bike. You bought one with great manners, and fantastic potential to modify if you ever need to.

Joe

dev

Nov 6, 2007
Cheers for the input guys, Going to try a 13t front sprocket this weekend. will see how that goes then maybe change the rear and chain, cant wait to see how she goes with the extrta torque down low

Last edited:

jssport

Feb 20, 2003
13/49 is a great choice

There's a factory service manual for your kdx in the for sale section now.

It would be a wise investment

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
No need to "invest" in a service manual. Search this forum. I gave a PDF of the service manual for our "E" models to "Muddy" and he put it up on a website for download. Free-ninety-nine buddy... thanks to TheGDog. :)

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
P.S. I guess It's because I grew up learning to ride in the Desert and such... but my '90 KDX 200 had 13/49 gearing on it and I felt it was ridiculously too low. I had to put her in 3rd gear just to attempt a wheelie of any length from a rolling start.

The stock gearing is 13/47. I'm excruciatingly waiting on funds to take care of other issue on the bike, but can't wait to experience the more appropriate gearing at this ratio. There again... not really riding in the woods though.... (yet).

Top Bottom