91 KX 250 leaking gear oil from shifter/Help?

jtricer1973

Jul 4, 2005
Hey Guys, this 91 KX 250 I just bought seems to be leaking gear oil from around the shifter shaft. Is there some seal in there that needs replacing? Is it an easy or hard fix? Also how much would the parts involved cost. I am very mechanically inclined but am new to two stroke dirt bikes. Also I don't have a repair manual yet cause I just got the bike. Just trying to get the problems worked out.
Another thought I had was if it is a seal leaking would adding TransX possibly recondition it and help it to seal and would trying this hurt the bike. Maybe this would by me some time if it did work. That stuff is awesome for auto transmissions. I have personally stopped 2 of my auto trannies from leaking with this stuff and they weren't just dripping they were pouring.
Thanks.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
there is a seal there. Its relatively easy to replace - I'd avoid the tranny additive. you need to remove the clutch cover, dissassemble the shift mechanism and push the shaft (with the shifter off) through from the left side of the bike and out the clutch side - the seal will be right there - pry it out gently and pop in a new one and bingo.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom