Bandit Won

May 13, 2003
Hey you guys are great. I am new to this and the info on this forum is really good. I have stock 13/47 sprockets on my kdx200 (1990) with chain adjusters @ 3.5 setting. Will a 49 tooth rear sprocket force me to get a longer chain? does any one reccomend sprocket/chain set up for more low end rip?

beefking

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 2002
I use 13/50 combo, and I did have to use one more link. You MIGHT be able to make it with stock chain length, but I wouldn't chance it. You could always get a 120-link chain and "break" it, just to be safe. I really like the 13/50, it's almost impossible to be in the wrong gear. You can go through the tightest trails in 3rd if you want, although the top speed suffers a bit - I wouldn't want to push it past 70.

If you are changing one sprocket and the chain is somewhat used, you should really get all new sprockets and chain at once. Other wise you'll just ruin either the chain or sprocket by changing just one element. It is cheapest to get those "cheap" steel sprockets (~$20 a set) at a place like www.rockymountainmc.com and a quality chain (RK or DID "O" or "X" ring lasts forever if lubed good). The steel sprockets are just a little bit heavier, but they last 10 times longer and won't bend nearly as easy on rocks.

Good luck. ;)

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
When I bought my bike in March, I put new stock sprockets and chain on it before I even rode it. (13/48)

I wanted to try a lower gear for help with climbing, since I just replaced everything, I put on a 12t on the front. When it comes time to replace everything again I think I'll try the 13/50 combo.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
i went from 12/47 to 13/50. chain was one link to short. so i went to get a new chain and like a fool let the dude talk me into buying an o-ring chain. needless to say none of my friends had a spare chain at the time so i bought another standard chain two days later. i ended up going with the longest possible setup 114 links i think to lengthen wheelbase. i dont mind taking a link out later after the chain stretches. anyway ill prob get slammed but i wouldnt get an o-ring chain. to much drag, it rubs chain guard. u can get two chains for the price of an oring and if u take care of a standard chain those two chains will last as long if not longer. also go ahead and go for 13/50 you'll like it.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Using a 12T front will wear out the chain faster than a 13T. Faster wear on the chain means faster wear on the sprockets. If you like the 12/47 set up, a 13/51 will provide the same (or close enough) ratio with longer life (longer life means less money!).

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I like 13/50 because it behaves well in the woods. As far as creating a bike that is too wheelie prone, that comes down to personal preference. But as with any bike you learn the proper throttle control. With that all said (and to answer your question!) I don't think that a 13/50 ratio makes the bike any harder to ride.

Top Bottom